The Baseball Maniac's Almanac: The Absolutely, Positively, and Without Question Greatest Book of Facts, Figures, and Astonishing Lists Ever Compiled (Paperback)
First created by legendary sportswriter Bert Randolph Sugar, and now updated, here are thousands of fascinating lists, tables, data, and stimulating facts. Inside, you’ll find all of the big name baseball heroes like Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, Ernie Banks, Pete Rose, Denny McLain, Ty Cobb, and a lot of information that will be new to even the most devoted fans:
- Highest batting averages not to win batting titles
- Home-run leaders by state of birth
- Players on last-place teams leading the league in RBIs, by season
- Most triples by position, season
- Winners of two “legs” of triple crown since last winner
- Oldest pitchers with losing record, leading league in ERA
- Career pitching leaders under six feet tall
- Managers replaced wile team was in first place
- Hall of Famers whose sons played in the majors
- Players with palindromic surnames
- And so much more!
Not just a collection of facts or records, this is a book of glorious fun that will astound even the most bookish baseball fan. Read up and amaze your friends!
Ken Samelson is an editor and author of several sports books. He is a former editor of the Macmillan Baseball Encyclopedia and co-author of Amazing Mets Trivia, The Great All-Time Baseball Record Book, The Miracle Has Landed, and The Macmillan Baseball Encyclopedia Quiz Book. Samelson lives in Larchmont, New York.